Areas of Expertise
- Theory of political process
- theory of legislative behavior
- voting behavior
- gender stereotypes
- parliamentary democracy
Politics & Economy
Graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University of Tokyo in 1999. Received an LLM from the Graduate Schools for Law and Politics, University of Tokyo, in 2001, and a PhD in political science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2010. Was an assistant professor in the Graduate School of International Relations, International University of Japan, and associate professor in the Graduate School of Law, Tohoku University, before assuming his present posts.
- Yoshikuni Ono, and Masahiro Yamada, “Do Voters Prefer Gender Stereotypic Candidates?: Evidence from a Conjoint Survey Experiment in Japan,” Political Science Research and Methods, forthcoming (Published online: 02 October 2018).
- Yoshikuni Ono, and Barry C. Burden, “The Contingent Effects of Candidate Sex on Voter Choice,” Political Behavior, Vol. 41(3): pp.583-607, 2019.
- Barry C. Burden, Yoshikuni Ono, and Masahiro Yamada, “Reassessing Public Support for a Female President,” Journal of Politics, Vol. 79(3): pp. 1073 - 1078, 2017.
- Yoshikuni Ono, “The Perceptions of Local Political Actors after Natural Disasters: The Effect of Japan’s 3/11 Disasters on Local Politics,” Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy, Vol. 8(4): 335 - 55, 2017.
- Daniel P. Aldrich and Yoshikuni Ono, “Local Politicians as Linking Social Capital: An Empirical Test of Political Behavior after Japan’s 3/11 Disasters,” Natural Hazards, Vol. 84(3): 1637 - 1659, 2016.
- Yoshikuni Ono, “Personal Attributes of Legislators and Parliamentary Behavior: An Analysis of Parliamentary Activities among Japanese Legislators,” Japanese Journal of Political Science, Vol. 16(1): 68 - 95, 2015.
- Yoshikuni Ono, “Portfolio Allocation as Leadership Strategy: Intraparty Bargaining in Japan,” American Journal of Political Science, Vol. 56(3): 553 - 567, 2012.