Areas of Expertise
- Global health nursing
- global health policy studies
- maternal and child health
- systematic review
Using Health Metrics to Monitor and Evaluate the Impact of Health Policies
Prof. Erika Ota is a midwife and a professor in the Department of Global Health Nursing at St. Luke’s International University’s Graduate School of Nursing. She received her MS and PhD in health science from the University of Tokyo. She is an editor of the Journal of Japan Academy of Midwifery, associate editor of the Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth group, and vice director of the Cochrane Japan Centre. She is director of the Center for International and Community Partnerships, director of WHO Collaborating Center for Nursing Development in Primary Health Care, and chief of PCC development and community partnerships at St. Luke’s International University. She has contributed to maternal and child health global policy making, including the WHO guidelines.
- Ota E, Haruna M, Yanai H, Suzuki M, Dang DA, Matsuzaki M, Tho LH, Ariyoshi K, Yeo SA and Murashima S. Reliability and validity of the Vietnamese version of the pregnancy physical activity questionnaire (PPAQ). The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 2008; 39(3) 562-570.
- Ota E, Haruna M, Matsuzaki M, Honda Y, Sasaki S, Yeo SA, Murashima S. Comparison of body fat mass changes during the third trimester and at one month postpartum between lactating and nonlactating Japanese women. BioScience Trends 2008; 2(5): 200-205.
- Ota E, Haruna M, Suzuki M, Anh DD, Tho HL, Thanh Tam NT, Thiem VD, Hien Anh NT, Isozaki M, Shibuya K, Ariyoshi K, Murashima S, Moriuchi H, Yanai H. The association of gestational weight gain and maternal body mass index on perinatal outcomes in Vietnamese women. Bulletin of the World Health Organization.2011: 89(2):127-136. Epub 2010 Nov 10.
- Ota E, Wariki WMV, Mori R, Hori N, Shibuya K. Behavioral interventions to reduce the transmission of HIV infection among sex workers and their clients in high-income countries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD006045. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006045.pub3.
- Ota E, Souza JP, Tobe-Gai R, Mori R, Middleton P, Flenady V. Interventions during the antenatal period for preventing stillbirth: an overview of Cochrane systematic reviews (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD009599. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009599.
- Ota E, Ganchimeg T, Morisaki N, Vogel JP, Pileggi C, et al. Risk Factors and Adverse Perinatal Outcomes among Term and Preterm Infants Born Small-for-Gestational-Age: Secondary Analyses of the WHO Multi-Country Survey on Maternal and Newborn Health. PLoS ONE 2014; 9(8): e105155. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0105155.
- Wariki WMV, Ota E, Mori R, Wiysonge CS, Horvath H, Read JS. Interventions for preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission: Protocol of an overview of systematic reviews. BMJ Open. 2017 Jun 21;7(6):e014332. PubMed PMID: 28637726. Pubmed Central PMCID: 5623404.
- Ota E, Mori R, Middleton P, Tobe-Gai R, Mahomed K, Miyazaki C, Bhutta ZA. Zinc supplementation for improving pregnancy and infant outcome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD000230. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000230.pub5. (Update)
- Ota E, Hori H, Mori R, Tobe-Gai R, Farrar D. Antenatal dietary education and supplementation to increase energy and protein intake. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD000032. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000032.pub3. (Update)
- Ota, E., da Silva Lopes, K., Middleton, P., Flenady, V., Wariki, W. M., Rahman, M. O., & Mori, R. (2020). Antenatal interventions for preventing stillbirth, fetal loss and perinatal death: An overview of Cochrane Systematic Reviews. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (12).
- da Silva Lopes K, Yamaji N, Rahman MO, Suto M, Takemoto Y, Garcia-Casal MN, Ota E. Nutrition-specific interventions for preventing and controlling anaemia throughout the life cycle: An overview of systematic reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021 Sep 26;9:CD013092. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD013092.pub2. PMID: 34564844.
- Thandar, M. M., Matsuoka, S., Rahman, O., Ota, E., & Baba, T. (2021). Infection control teams for reducing healthcare-associated infections in hospitals and other healthcare settings: a protocol for systematic review. BMJ Open, 11(3), e044971.
- Rahman MO, Sassa M, Parvin N, Islam MR, Yajima A, Ota E. Diagnostic test accuracy for detecting Schistosoma japonicum and S. mekongi in humans: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2021 Mar 17;15(3):e0009244. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0009244. PMID: 33730048; PMCID: PMC7968889.
- Suto, M., Miyazaki, C., Yanagawa, Y., Takehara, K., Kato, T., Gai, R., Ota E, Mori, R. (2021). Overview of Evidence Concerning School-Based Interventions for Improving the Health of School-Aged Children and Adolescents. The Journal of School Health.
- Hasegawa T, Nishiwaki H, Ota E, Levack WM, Noma H. Aldosterone antagonists for people with chronic kidney disease requiring dialysis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021 Feb 15;2:CD013109. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD013109.pub2. PMID: 33586138.
- Palmer M, Katanoda K, Saito E, Martellucci CA, Ostuki S, Nomura S, Ota E, Brotherton JML, Hocking J. National genotype prevalence and age distribution of human papillomavirus from infection to cervical cancer in Japanese women: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol. Syst Rev. 2021 May 5;10(1):135. doi: 10.1186/s13643-021-01686-6. PMID: 33952342; PMCID: PMC8101252.
- Kawasaki, M., Mito, A., Waguri, M., Sato, Y., Abe, E., Shimada, M., Fukuda, S., Sasaki, Y., Fujikawa, K., Sugiyama, T., Ota, E., Nakazawa, J., Okoshi, T., Takimoto, H., Honda, Y., Inoue, E., Hiramatsu, Y., & Arata, N. (2021). Protocol for an interventional study to reduce postpartum weight retention in obese mothers using the internet of things and a mobile application: a randomized controlled trial (SpringMom). BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 21(1), 582.
- Nomura O, Fukuda S, Ota E, Ono H, Ishiguro A, Kobayashi T. Monoclonal antibody and anti-cytokine biologics for Kawasaki disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2021 Aug 2;51(5):1045-1056. doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2021.07.020. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34416626.
- Hadiati DR, Hakimi M, Nurdiati DS, Masuzawa Y, da Silva Lopes K, Ota E. Skin preparation for preventing infection following caesarean section. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020;6:CD007462.
- Amari S, Shahrook S, Namba F, Ota E, Mori R. Branched-chain amino acid supplementation for improving growth and development in term and preterm neonates. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020;10:CD012273.