Areas of Expertise
- International relations
- political methodology
- applied statistics
- political psychology
- public policy
Establishing Health System Resilience to Tackle the Health Security Crisis
Health System Innovation in the Post-COVID Era
Rethinking Global Health Policy in the Post-COVID Era
Mitsuru Mukaigawara is a Ph.D. candidate in Government at Harvard University. He studies international relations, political psychology, and political methodology, with a focus on how health inequities and their legacy affect public opinion, political phenomena, and utilization of healthcare resources at the global level. Prior to graduate school, he worked globally both as an infectious disease physician and a policy analyst in settings ranging from a remote island in southern Japan to the World Health Organization headquarters. As a physician and social scientist, he has published widely in peer-reviewed journals, such as the New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, and Nature Medicine, on issues relating to clinical medicine, global health, and international relations. He received an MD from Tokyo Medical and Dental University, trained at the Okinawa Chubu Hospital Internal Medicine Residency and Infectious Disease Fellowship, and received an MPP from the Harvard Kennedy School, where he was a Belfer Young Leader / Graham T. Allison, Jr. Student Fellow and a recipient of the Robert Belfer Annual Award for the best master’s thesis in international relations.
Medicine/Public Health (selected)
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Janelle Winters, Genevie Fernandes, and Devi Sridhar. Balancing science and political economy: Tobacco control and global health. Wellcome Open Research, 3(40), 2018.
- GBD 2013 Risk Factors Collaborators. Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 79 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks in 188 countries,1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet, 386(10010):2287, 2015.
- GBD 2013 Collaborators. Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 306 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 188 countries, 1990-2013: Quantifying the epidemiological transition. Lancet, 386(10009):2145–2191, 2015.
- GBD 2013 Collaborators. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet, 386(9995):743–800, 2015.
- GBD 2013 Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators. Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet, 385(9963):117–171, 2015.
- GBD 2013 Collaborators. Global, regional, and national incidence and mortality for HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria during 1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet, 384(9947):1005–1070, 2014.
- GBD 2013 Collaborators. Global, regional, and national levels and causes of maternal mortality during 1990-2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet, 384(9947):980–1004, 2014.
- Charles R. Beck, Bruce C. McKenzie, Ahmed B. Hashim, Rebecca C. Harris, University of Nottingham Influenza and the ImmunoCompromised (UNIIC) Study Group, and Jonathan S. Nguyen-Van-Tam. Influenza vaccination for immunocompromised patients: Systematic review and meta-analysis by etiology. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 206(8):1250–1259, 2012.
- Gayle P. Dolan, Rebecca C. Harris, Mandy Clarkson, Rachel Sokal, Gemma Morgan, Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Hiroshi Horiuchi, Rachel Hale, Laura Stormont, Laura Béchard-Evans, Yi-Sheng Chao, Sergey Eremin, Sara Martins, John S Tam, Javier Penalver, Arina Zanuzadana, and Jonathan S Nguyen-Van-Tam. Vaccination of health care workers to protect patients at increased risk for acute respiratory disease. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 18(8):1225–1234, 2012.
- Charles R. Beck, Bruce C. McKenzie, Ahmed B. Hashim, Rebecca C. Harris, Arina Zanuzdana, Gabriel Agboado, Elizabeth Orton, Laura Béchard-Evans, Gemma Morgan, Charlotte Stevenson, Rachel Weston, Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Joanne Enstone, Glenda Augustine, Mobasher Butt, Sophie Kim, Richard Puleston, Girija Dabke, Robert Howard, Julie O’Boyle, Mary O’Brien, Lauren Ahyow, Helene Denness, Siobhan Farmer, Jose Figureroa, Paul Fisher, Felix Greaves, Munib Haroon, Sophie Haroon, Caroline Hird, Rachel Isba, David A Ishola, Marko Kerac, Vivienne Parish, Jonathan Roberts, Julia Rosser, Sarah Theaker, Dean Wallace, Neil Wigglesworth, Liz Lingard, Yana Vinogradova, Hiroshi Horuichi, Javier Penalver, and Jonathan S Nguyen-Van-Tam. Influenza vaccination for immunocompromised patients: Systematic review and meta-analysis from a public health policy perspective. PLoS ONE, 6(12):e29249, 2011.
Clinical Case Reports/Case Series (selected)
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Reza Manesh, Mitsuyo Kinjo, Shuichi Sugita, and Andrew P.J. Olson. A curve ball. New England Journal of Medicine, 383(10):970–975, 2020.
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Masashi Narita, Soichi Shiiki, Yoshihiro Takayama, Shunichi Takakura, and Tomokazu Kishaba. Clinical characteristics of disseminated strongyloidiasis, Japan, 1975-2017. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 26(3):401–408, 2020.
- Hiroyuki Teruya, Mitsuru Mukaigawara, and Kazuhito Hirata. Progressive dyspnea in a woman with genital skin lesions. JAMA Oncology, 6(3):433–434, 2020.
- Liane McAuliffe, Shannon Fortin Ensign, Derek Larson, Mary Bavaro, Joseph Yetto, Michael Cathey, Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Masashi Narita, Kiyofumi Ohkusu, and Timothy Quast. Severe CNS angiostrongyliasis in a young marine: a case report and literature review. Lancet Infectious Diseases, 19(4):e132–e142, 2019.
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara and Shuichi Sugita. Fever, rash, and abnormal liver function test results. JAMA, 320(24):2591–2592, 2018.
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Izumi Nakayama, and Koichiro Gibo. Strongyloidiasis and culture-negative suppurative meningitis, Japan, 1993-2015. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 24(12):2378–2380, 2018.
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Kazuhito Hirata, and Minoru Wake. Diffusely elevated ST segments on electrocardiography. JAMA Cardiology, 1(2):229–230, 2016.
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Ines Hassan, Genevie Fernandes, Lois King, Jay Patel, and Devi Sridhar. An equitable roadmap for ending the COVID-19 pandemic. Nature Medicine, 28(5):893–896, 2022.
- Ines Hassan, Mitsuru Mukaigawara, Lois King, Genevie Fernandes, and Devi Sridhar. Hindsight is 2020? Lessons in global health governance one year into the pandemic. Nature Medicine, 27(3):396–400, 2021.
- Mitsuru Mukaigawara. Going home, dying. JAMA Internal Medicine, 176(11):1603, 2016.